Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Get your pump on!

Good Morning!

Every Wednesday I do my isolation exercises where  I isolate my back, chest and leg muscles. The difference between compound and isolation exercises is compound muscles require you to move two joints during the motion while isolation exercises only move one.

I always start with my upper body since it takes less energy than my legs.

For my chest and back I'm going to do flys. See below.

1. REVERSE FLY (BACK)

The reverse fly can be done many ways. If you don't have a raised step like in the photo you can use a bench or a chair. If you find a slight bend in the elbow helps you get higher than do so. You want to squeeze those back muscles when you get to the top. Move 2 seconds on the way up and 4 seconds on the way down. Breath out on the way up and in on the way down. This week I'm doing 5 sets of 12 and 7.5 pounds in each hand. For beginners I recommend 3 sets of 10 at 3 pounds in each hand.

2. CHEST FLY




While doing this exercise remember to hold your arms steady and move the dumbbells slowly together. 2 seconds on the way up and 4 seconds on the way down. Keep your arms straight and squeeze your chest muscles on the way up. Stick with a weight that challenges you enough that when you get to rep 10 you are struggling a little. I will be doing 5 sets of 12 at 10-15 lbs.

3. LEG EXTENSION



This exercise works many muscles in the legs so it's very important you don't miss it. Lift 2 seconds on the way up and bring it down slowly, 4 seconds on the way down. Breath out on the way up and in on the way down. Pull a weight that is easy enough to complete the exercise full with proper technique but not too easy where you are swinging it and not lifting. The last 4 reps should feel a little pain in the muscle so if you don't feel it than your not lifting enough weight!

5. LEG CURL

I love this exercise! It works my legs and my butt :) Same idea as the leg extension just backwards. Bring it up 2 seconds and down 4 seconds. Breath out on the way up and in on the way down. Give yourself an extra squeeze at the top to fire your muscles more.

Eleni Moutsias


No comments:

Post a Comment