Monday, November 15, 2010

Muscle Mondays: How Yoga Helps in More Ways than One




Hey Fabulous Readers!

Yoga has been a popular form of exercise for years. Regular yoga practice can build core strength, stamina, emotional satisfaction, muscle endurance and flexibility. I have committed to have yoga in my workout routine in the last year because of all the benefits it has offered me. Yoga is definitely not just for women. There are plenty of men I know that enjoy yoga, especially hot yoga. I decided to try hot yoga this summer when a friend invited me to attend one of the classes with her. Boy was it hot and challenging compared to regular yoga I was used to. After a few classes I was noticing I had better posture, I could run longer on the treadmill and I was enjoying everything having a more positive outlook on life.


Yoga for Health

It’s unbelievable how many health benefits you can gain from doing yoga. The deep breathing that is involved in yoga has been proven to lower blood pressure. The benefits can help people with heart disease and stroke.

Yoga for Core Strength and Posture

Most yoga poses and exercises build core strength, and a stronger core means better awareness of posture and movement of your body. It's not just about being aware. A strong core will help you sit and walk straighter and taller. Yoga helps with good posture, which prevents back pain.

Yoga for Emotional Benefits

It’s hard not to relax during yoga. The breathing and meditation that is involved brings a feeling of peace and helps you let go of daily stress and anxiety. You may not know this, but when you are relaxed while doing yoga your body is able to decrease the hormones that produce stress, called catecholamines. Daily practice in yoga will help your everyday activities seem less stressful.

Yoga for Muscle Flexibility

If you don’t think your flexible enough, trust me yoga helps. I know athletes that do yoga to help skate, jump and run better. That’s because the flexibility from yoga improves flexibility in your muscles, tendons and ligaments.

After doing yoga you will look and feel like a strong warrior ready to face anything!

Enjoy your workout today!

-- Stephanie B




No comments:

Post a Comment